Monday, January 18, 2010

Maiden Post

After much struggling, I have decided to create a weblog. In the past, I've attempted journals and diaries, personal and artistic. The efforts always failed because, honestly, I couldn't be bothered.

For a class in an institution, the name of which I hide for professional reasons, I was asked to keep an artistic journal. Instead, I forged one a couple days before classes ended. I assembled various pieces of paper together, used different pens and pencils and spent a couple hours making shit up about how I felt during the previous months. For the older days, I made sure to grind the pencil entries into the backs of the previous papers to make it look like they had been crammed together for months. I handed it in and felt awesome because journals are for suckers.

Why the hell would I need to blog? I'm trying to be a professional writer. Shouldn't I be writing things that I can sell instead of piddling away time and effort?

And yet here I am, and here's this blog, and I feel good about it. I've decided that I really like reviewing books, movies and TV shows. I want to share my insights. I also have opinions about other stuff, chiefly what I would do differently if I was the dictator of Canada/Earth.

So here I go again with another journal. It's not fake this time. It's 100% real, minus some stuff that I keep private. Stop by every now and then for some folksy, golden-prairie Garrison-Keillor-style witticisms, only with more swearing and unspeakable visitors from dark universes.

2 comments:

  1. The only reason Garrison Keillor has less swearing is that his editors have An Agenda.

    Be careful with this one, Jeremy. While I am pleased to read you, I myself find my bournal does take away from my writing. Also: most anything you post on your bournal will not be acceptible submissions for most literary journals, magazines, or anthologies. That being said, write on, dear Horatio, or whatever that line is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cenobyte.

    My reviews I'll post are for my own purposes and at most I'll only put writing samples on here. And yes, I'll only write here when I can't write elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete